We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Shapeshifters in Romance Fiction

Picking up where I left off last time, today I'm contemplating the current popularity of shapeshifters in romance fiction. Last time I blogged here, we discussed werewolves, but now I'm expanding the topic to include all kinds of shapeshifters. While werewolves are probably the most common and popular in romance fiction right now, there's a lot of interest in other kinds of shifters as well. I, myself, have written dragon shifters (in The Ice Dragon and Prince of Spies) and will introduce my first cat shifter in Sweeter Than Wine, due out in ebook on March 11th (in print next year).

Here's what Wiki says about shapeshifters: "Shapeshifting is a common theme in folklore, as well as in science fiction and fantasy. In its broadest sense, it is a change in the physical form or shape of a person or animal...shapeshifting involves physical changes such as alterations of age, gender, race, or general appearance or changes between human form and that of an animal, plant, or inanimate object...Shapeshifting may be used as a plot device, as when Puss In Boots tricks the ogre into changing into a mouse so he may eat him; it may also include a symbolic significance, as when the Beast's transformation at the end of Beauty and the Beast indicates Beauty's ability to accept him despite his appearance."

I don't think I've ever gone quite that far, though Lana's discovery of Roland's ability to shift from dragon to human form in The Ice Dragon does come as a bit of a surprise to her. ;-) I think it's intriguing to find out there's more to the person or animal one meets at the beginning of a novel. And the way those new revelations play into the story make it interesting and fantastical. Of late, I've really been enjoying writing a series of cat shifters.

For some reason, cat shifters fire the imagination and make one think immediately of the pleasures of the flesh. Cats are sinuous, slinky and sexy, where wolves seem tough, mighty and all alpha. Cats on the other hand, have cunning, stealth, soft fur and a very sexy way of moving. Seems natural we romance writers would take them to our hearts and turn them into heroes and heroines in our flights of fantasy.

Check out my upcoming book, Sweeter Than Wine on December 11th for a look at my version of a very sexy cat shifter. ;-) In the meantime, what's your favorite form of shapeshifter, other than wolves? Dragons? Cats? Snakes? Sea creatures? What's your take?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dayna_Hart said...

In my file of 'currently backburnered projects', I have three different shifter stories. One urban fantasy, one high fantasy, and one historical fantasy. Writing each of them is fun for seeing how the shifters can fit (or not) into an established society...while having one of their own...

I'd love to see a really well done 'I never thought of that' shifter. But most of the ones "I never thought of"...are kinda creepy or...just bizarre. (monkeys? sloths?) There are just some animals which don't translate as a shifter all that well...

Rae Lori said...

I just recently saw Tin Man where the new reimagined Toto was a shapeshifter. ;-)

I haven't heard of dragon shifters though and I'm definitely intrigued to check out your work to see how the story unfolds around one. :-)

I always liked the idea of vampires shifting into animals like wolves and bats. I haven't heard of many vampires in current literature doing so though (although I could be wrong). I'm working on a ms now where I have a race of renegade shifters that can change into anything but I have to be careful not to get too comfortable with the device that it becomes "easy".