We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Unicorns



You know what I want? I want fantasy of the "Legend" kind. When I was a kid, I ADORED pegasus' and unicorns. I had many fantasia-esque pictures like the one above on my walls. One of my favorite movies as a kid was "The Last Unicorn" with the Red Bull (before it became an energy drink), and I even have that movie on DVD. :P It was on the cheapo rack.

But in our romance nowadays, we see fantasy elves, fairies, dragons... Where are the unicorns? Where are the pegasus...es? (Seriously, what IS the plural of "pegasus?")

There is an author (can't think of her name right now) who wrote a series about winged centaurs. I haven't read it, but I seriously want to. That looks awesome.

I guess I just want something different. And no, right now, I'm not going to write it myself. I have WAAY too many projects going on to fit something like this in. Perhaps "someday", I might try my hand, but the point of this post is to challenge all you writers and hopefuls to think outside the fantasy box. What is something that NO ONE ELSE is doing?

Seriously, I think perhaps unicorns and pegasus' are it. Imagine a Narnia-esque world, where animals talk and glitter abounds (because I love glitter, just go with it lol) and magical creatures appear to save the world... Whatever it is, they don't have to be a "shifter". Can't we just have a unicorn be a unicorn?

This is why I love rich, new fantasy worlds, because they challenge us to think outside the "norm" of castles, dragons, wizards. Even I myself am "guilty" of this kind of fantasy world. But I want to see someone shake things up a bit. Because seriously, who wouldn't want to read a fantasy story about perhaps an army of unicorn or pegasus' warriors kicking the ass of some Big Bad? :)

~~Becka

http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

5 comments:

Christine Norris said...

I LOVE unicorns!
My first two books have unicorns, but they're not about unicorns. They're only in them for a teeny bit. It also has winged horses. I don't call them Pegasi (the plural, by the way) because I think Pegasus was his name, not his species.

My first Samhain book has THE Pegasus in it.

You should grab a copy of The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville. The books are for kids, but you'd love them.

Jean Marie Ward said...

I think the reason for the dearth of modern unicorn stories is the whole "only with a virgin" gig. In traditional lore, everyone else is toast. Kind of complicates the romance. LOL
Though now that I've raised the issue, I'm having to beat down plot bunnies with a stick. Bad Becka! I've got just as many projects and no time to do them either.
Hugs and grins,
Jean Marie

Gia Dawn said...

My sons used to call them unkinorns...lolol. Maybe you need to write some shifting unkinorns...hmmmmm, hunky guys with a great big horn, always a good thing.

Becka said...

Well hey, people have been "reinventing" vampire lore, werewolf lore, and dragon lore, why not unicorns and/or pegasi? And yeah, Pegasus was originally from Greek myth blah blah blah... LOL

However, "Pegasus" has now become like the word "Kleenex" or "Coke". It is generic for "winged horse". I mean seriously, what ELSE do you call a horse that can fly?

*snort*

~~Becka

N.J.Walters said...

I loved unicorns when I was a teenager. I'll admit that as I've gotten older I identify more with the dragon. I think that's why you see unicorns more in children's books.

I still have a huge pile of unicorn bookmarks though. *g*