We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Monday, May 14, 2007

A favorite genre of mine is…

ancient fantasy. This genre is an alternate history, usually with magic or some element of the fantastic or predated history. Arthurian legends fall under this concept. The myths and folklore of the ancient civilizations, such as Byzantium, the Celts, the Americas, or the Middle East make good backdrops for ancient fantasy tales.

I’m thrilled to be working on two ancient fantasy worlds.

One is a shapeshifter tale that spins an alternate history of the ancient Romy. Of course there’s the added dose of magic. I’ve forever been fascinated with this culture. And have been studying the people since I started dabbling in writing. I’m under committed deadline to Ellroa’s Cave for the first installment titled Serving the Beast. And have my fingers crossed I get to grow the series.

The other is a dragon story that I’m equally fond of. This one weaves a tale among the ancient Celts.

What is your favorite ancient culture? Or ancient fantasy romance?

Until later~
Mel

4 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Ancient Romy? Did you mean Rome or Romany?
Would love to see more work done in Byzantium or Middle Eastern and Asian cultures myself. Which is a case of "Please, someone, do as I say, not as I do!"
Cheers,
Jean Marie

Carolan Ivey said...

Arthurian is probably my favorite. :) I keep going back to this, but my favorite book of that kind is Parke Godwin's "Firelord", a realistic, gritty look at the time of King Arthur. It has elements of fantasy and magic, but it reads so real you can't imagine it happening any other way. :)

Suzette said...

I love when authors write about ancient Greece and their myths.

Melissa Lopez said...

Hiya ladies,

Jean Marie, I meant Romy (Groups/tribes of Gypsies) Romany fits as well.

Carolan, I've added Parke Godwin's "Firelord" to-be-bought list.

Suzetta, I hear ya. I seriously don't think there are enough ancient romances out there.

Mel