We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Creature Feature: Werewolves in Romance Fiction


What is the mystique of werewolves? When I was growing up, they were scary creatures from old movies that would tear you to pieces and howl at the full moon. But today they've morphed (pun intended) into something more... romantic heroes who turn shaggy every once in a while. A pet, guard dog, and husband in one - what a time saver!

Here's what Wiki has to say about the topic: "Werewolves, also known as lycanthropes, are mythological or folkloric people with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or wolflike creature, either purposely, by using magic, or after being placed under a curse. The medieval chronicler Gervase of Tilbury associated the transformation with the appearance of the full moon; however, there is evidence that the association existed among the Ancient Greeks, appearing in the writings of Petronius. This concept was rarely associated with the werewolf until the idea was picked up by fiction writers."

Yeah, I'm guilty of being one of the "fiction writers" who have "picked up" on the werewolf phenomenon. I've also read a lot of werewolf and shapeshifter romance books by my contemporaries and there are subtle differences in the characterization of the affliction between one author and another, particularly in the way the shifters change. Some authors have the change be total, from human to wolf. Some go from human to some weird wolf-like creature, like the werewolves in most of those old movies.

In my case, I have given my characters the ability to shift from human to wolf, but they can sort of pause in the middle to that half-formed creature that has the strength and senses of the wolf and the ability to talk and walk upright like a human. Of course, I didn't make it easy for them to do it. ;-) (The details are in my book, Lords of the Were.)

So what's the allure of the werewolf? Is the idea of magic made flesh? Is it the wildness of the untamed wolf mixing with our domesticated lives - spicing it up a bit, if you will? Is it the return of the Alpha Male and the desire for his dominance - if only in our escapist fantasies? I really don't know, but I suspect it might be a little of all three and some other things I haven't thought of besides. What's your opinion?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heart of the Wolf comes out with Sourcebooks, April 08, www.terryspear.com
For me, it's the wild in all of us wanting to be free, to take a run on the wild side, to cast away the inhibitions. :) The alpha males are hunky, but the females hold their own every bit as much. I've also seen the old horror movies, and read tons of other werewolf romance books and love the way writers can take the subject and turn what one editor, who gave me a 3 out of 7 on a contest for Heart of the Wolf, said--a new inventive spin on a horror tale.

Anonymous said...

Why werewolves do it for me. They are the new alpha hero just like the alpha heroes of the 80's and 90's. Not to mention most authors make them very devoted and protective of their mates which is a characteristic that I love.

Bianca D'Arc said...

Terry - I like the image of "the wild in us wanting to be free." Well put!

Chris - I hadn't thought of the devotion thing, but you're definitely on to something there. Great point!

Rae Lori said...

I wrote a werewolf story recently and for me it was the idea of the untamed beast countering the gentler human side. Like Terry and Chris mentioned, also the wild side and the alpha hero aspect of the romance. I think having a werewolf romance hero is sort of a way to have that dangerous edge to battle with the human psyche. It makes for great internal conflict with himself and the heroine.

Plus, you know us women like the sexy, dangerous mens! ;-)

I just visited today and I love your blog. I'll add it to my blog reads. Keep up the great work!

Rae
http://www.raelori.com
http://raelori.blogspot.com

Carolan Ivey said...

Chris makes an excellent point. In the wild, wolves are the ultimate family creatures - completely devoted and loyal to the pack, fiercely protective of its young. They mate for life, and there's a strict code of conduct and a complex hierarchy - the alpha male and female are like royalty. They aren't just mindless animals, they are capable of mapping out efficient hunting strategies crucial to their survival. IMO they're smarter than most people. [grin]

Bianca D'Arc said...

Rae - Welcome to the blog! Glad you decided to visit us today! :)

Carolan - Good points. Plus there are all those sharp, pointy teeth to keep the younger pups in line! LOL

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the man vs beast concept. And if the war is internal, all the better! Although, angst-ridden doesn't really do it for me. Showing an inner struggle until ultimately accepting who you are, does. I agree with Chris about being protective of their mates. That kind of loyalty can make a heart pitter-patter. *huge grin* Great post Bianca!

Anonymous said...

I think it is a combination of a desire for more structure in our lives and a desire to be not just loved, but protected. The more chaotic and scary the world has become, the more people (especially women) feel the need for the security of a familiar structure. We once had clearly defined gender roles, and while I wouldn't want to go back to "a woman's place is in the home", it's comforting to fantasize about being loved so completely.