We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Monday, July 9, 2007

Balancing writing with life?

Now, I must admit completing stories is where discipline comes in. Over the years I've gotten into a groove. If I'm at the computer...75% of the time I'm trying to write. The other 25% I'm dealing with e-mail, promotion, blogging, critiquing, or checking out what's going on in my groups. If I'm not dealing with writing I'm not in my computer chair.

For sometime now, I've been writing with goals and unless a writing project gets shuffled around I stick to them for the most part. I have two goal buddies. Mechele Armstrong http://mechelearmstrong.com/ and Rebecca Airies http://www.rebeccaairies.net/ . Once a week we check in to announce our goals and then we tell one another how we did on them. If we don't make the goal, we explain why. I sometimes feel more obligated reporting into them. I've gotten a lot out of my goal buddies We cheer one another on, and encourage one another when it's needed.

I'm one of those writers who works around the needs of others. Some days I can be in and out and back into my chair several times during a session trying to get some word count down. I have four children and two parents I police. So, finding writing time isn't easy, but I manage around my family. My husband is a huge help, especially when he knows I'm under a deadline or have edits. I couldn't write without his support.

What's your schedule? Do you have a routine or simply plug along?

Until later~
Mel
http://melissa-lopez.com/

2 comments:

Gia Dawn said...

I just plug along, my dear, and hope that my writing does get some priority on occasion. LOL I'm beginning to believe my writing career is the bonus I get for being open and willing to do the things for my family I need to. But that's OK by me, I'll take the bonus everytime. :) Gia

Melissa Lopez said...

Ditto. For the most part, I'm plugging along trying to meet my goals. ~Mel