We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Becka's World Building Workshop ~ Post #3

This is part THREE of my SEVEN part World Building Workshop. This series will be posted every two weeks. If you missed the previous issues, here are the links to them:

World Building Workshop Post #2

World Building Workshop Post #1


~*~*~*~

ECONOMY, TRADE, & MONEY

Once you have your world's name, your government, your terrain, and map all planned out, its time to think of your economy. I'm not necessarily talking about stocks and all the good stuff going on at Wall Street, although you are certainly welcome to implement that idea if you want to.

I'm simply talking about where does your country get it's goods? Do the local farmers supply fruits and grain? Do your spices come from overseas? How do goods travel from town to town? Are there trains in your world? Magical portals? Advanced "Star Trek" technology such as "beaming" and whatnot?

What kind of money system do you have in your world? Paper dollars or just coins? While this might not enter into your story too much, it's still a good idea to think about this, as you can add it in for extra "flavor" to bring a “unique-ness” to your story, or you can make mention of it.

In my world, they only have coins. Copper, silver, and gold. Ten copper = one silver. Ten silver = one gold.

These coins are known as "ladies", a term I *coined* (pun intended haha) after I thought that the face of Lyndaria's first queen was embossed on them. So they are copper ladies, silver ladies, and gold ladies. But think of money in our world. We have dollars, pounds, pesos, Euros... So to make your money system unique and believable, try to think of something similar. You could even do something akin to credit cards, which would make sense in a Sci-fi.

Once your trade routes and money are established, then we're going to move on to fleshing out your world a bit. So tell us all what your thoughts are for money in your world and we'll move on in a little while! :)

~~Becka

My example of Lyndaria comes from my fantasy/romance novels The Legends of Mynos, currently published at http://www.SamhainPublishing.com.

3 comments:

Christine said...

These are fascinating posts. Once I'm done with ny current series, whenever that happens, I have something planned that will require worldbuilding.

Thanks for the tips!

Becka said...

Christine,

I'm so glad you're getting something out of it. I was a little worried that these articles are two weeks apart each time, but I figure it will give me material to post for awhile. :P

I'm no expert on this kind of thing, but I can only share how I did things myself. A lot of things authors might not even consider, like making trade routes and actually sketching a map. These things really helped me during the parts of the book they are traveling somewhere. I had to know how long it was going to take them! :P

~~Becka

Kat Hall said...

These are very useful tips Becka. Once I get time to really read them and after you have them all posted, I will make futher comments.