We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Fair Folk

Did our ancestors call these mythological creatures "fair" because they were beautiful or because our ancestors were begging them to be fair in their dealings? That's kind of a tricky question that popped up while I was doing some research for my next Dragon Knights novel. Perhaps I'm sheltered, but I always thought the term "Fair Folk" was simply another name for elves, fairies, and the like. I thought it had something to do with their reputed beauty, or maybe their complexion - which might be a holdover from Tolkein's elves in my mind.

I've come to find that the term might actually be a bit more sinister in nature than I believed. By naming them "fair," perhaps our ancestors were employing a bit of wishful thinking. They hoped calling them "fair" would make them deal fairly with the human population. There are so many legends about changling babies and fey folk playing tricks on humanity, this explanation of the name bears some thought.

Still, I think I'd rather live in my little Polyanna world and believe the word "fair" refers to their coloring and/or countenance. In my books, at least, that's the way I'm going to take it. You heard it here first - and it's something of a spoiler - the next Dragon Knights novel, FireDrake, will feature a race of magical warriors known as the Fair Folk. Mine will be easy on the eyes and lethal - a fascinating combination. As to how they deal with humanity? Whether it's "fair" or not, remains to be seen...

2 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

Have you read Eddie Lenihan's, "The Other Crowd"? It's a collection of fairy folklore from Ireland. It's transcribed directly from recordings of elderly Irish folk who remember the old stories.

Anyway, the storytellers without exception refer to the Fae as "the good folk" and in other similar terms, because of the reason you described - they don't want to get on the fair folks' bad side! :)

Suzette said...

Interesting...I always thought it had to do with how they looked. Learn something new everyday.