We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Mexican Witches

Hi! I’m Margo Lukas and I’m subbing for Carolan today. I hope she’s having fun doing what she’s doing, because I’m spending the day in 90 degree weather selling Gatorade at a livestock show! Ugh.

I’m a fellow author over at Samhain and my book Half Moon Rising came out in ebook this past March and will be out in print in October. But enough about me…

This is a bizarre video I found that supposedly shows a witch circling a Mexican cemetery. It’s crazy. http://www.neatorama.com/2007/07/04/witch-caught-on-video-terrorizing-mexican-town

It’s at a site called “Neatorama”. Of course it’s going to be good!

I’m doing some preliminary research on an upcoming book and here are some things I found out about Mexican witches:

They are mostly men, but there are some women.
They practice one of these types of magic: white, red (the good ones) or black (the bad one).
Good witches heal.
They can’t wear gold.
They can’t get married, but they are allowed to have as many girlfriends/boyfriends as they want.
Tuesdays and Fridays are the best days to cast spells.
Their roots go back to both Mayan and Aztec lore.

I’m not sure if all that will find its way into my book, but it’s interesting stuff to read. Sela Ward did an interesting blog on Central American myths on Beyond the Veil. If you liked this post you might want to check it out.

Happy Saturday and best of luck to the legions of people getting married on this luckiest of days :)
~Margo

3 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Welcome to the party, Margo. Mexican witchcraft is a fascinating but little explored background for fantasy. The only book I can think of that used it is Roxanne Conrad's Bridge of Shadows. 'Course that's not surprising. Rox is a Texas native. You might know her better by one of her pen names, Rachel Caine. But either way, she writes a fabulous story.
Can't wait to read yours. :-) Meanwhile, hope you've recovered from the Gatorade sales

Margo Lukas said...

If you call crashing on the couch and sleeping for an hour...yep, I've recovered :)

Thanks for the comment and I'm going to make a note of Roxanne's book. I love less common myths as the basis for a story. There's always so much to learn.

Gia Dawn said...

Did you notice that they are mostly men and not allowed to get married, but can have as many "friends" as they want? Of course. LOLOL