We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Crature Feature: Cat Shifters

Cat shapeshifters offer a unique and interesting opportunity for fantasy writers. First, there are so many kinds of big cats to play with and so many of them are related to various degrees.

In the genus Panthera, for example, are the lion, tiger, leopard and jaguar. These are the only big cats able to roar and are sometimes distinguished as the "great cats" to differentiate them from other big cats who like the cheetah, snow leopard, clouded leopard, and cougar. Another little distinction is that the babies of the great cats are called cubs, while the babies of the other big cats are called kittens. (More on all of this minutiae can be found in the Wiki entry.)

The creature I find most interesting is the cougar. Bigger than the jaguar, but not considered a "great cat" it goes by many names and roams most of the Americas. Also called Puma or Mountain Lion, these cats are huge and very efficient predators. They learn and adapt to their environment and the kinds of prey they find there. I saw a show on Animal Planet the other day on bighorn sheep in the Canadian wilderness. It turns out that scientists were able to discover that one particular cougar in the area had learned how to efficiently hunt the bighorn lambs and for the last two years of the cougar's life, it ate almost nothing but mutton and put a big dent in the local bighorn population. But another cougar wasn't as smart. It fell to its death off the rocky slopes while chasing a bighorn lamb and both were found dead at the bottom, killed by the fall. So it takes a sure-footed cougar to even attempt to hunt those kings of the mountain in their rocky, dangerous domain.

In my own writing, I've created a few different big cat shapeshifters. The one you'll be able to read first is Matt Redstone, a character from my upcoming novel, Sweeter Than Wine. He's a cougar and has the cunning, speed and agility of the cat, even in human form. He's also really sexy, just like the cat. ;-) In my little world, he's the youngest of a group of cougar-shifter brothers and I plan to feature each of them in upcoming works. I'm also working on an urban fantasy world, inhabited by leopard and tiger shifters, as well as Others. More on that, when news becomes available.

For now, I continue my research in to the ways these big cats are related and the fantasy of how to make them purrrrrrrrr.

Bianca
Website: www.biancadarc.com
NEW Blog: http://biancadarc.com/blog/

5 comments:

Suzette said...

I look forward to reading your shifters Bianca

Bianca D'Arc said...

Thanks, Suzette! I can't wait to really get down to edits on Sweeter Than Wine. It's a fun story and very hot, if I do say so myself! LOL

Bianca
www.biancadarc.com

Carolan Ivey said...

Question, Bianca...

When you are writing a shifter, do you take into account the relative body mass of the human form vs. the creature form? I was thinking of writing a bear shifter but I can't wrap my brain around the weight difference. :) Thanks!

Bianca D'Arc said...

Carolan! I have a bear shifter! His name is Rocky. ;-)

As for the mechanics of it, you can look at it two ways. You can be very scientific about it and wonder how body of a smaller big cat at 75lbs., for example, would equal a 200 lb guy (or the other way around with your bear example). That could make you a little crazy and would limit your choices of animal considerably. You could only choose to write animals that weighed in the human range, right? So even werewolves would come into question there - I don't think a wolf is quite that big, right?

- OR -

You could just chalk it all up to "shifter magic" - LOL!

Now you know I hate to do that kind of thing. It goes against my nature as a former scientist, but I believe there times when you just have to use fuzzy math to make this kind of thing work. ;-) Poetic license and all that. :)

B.

Becka said...

Ooo, I LUV shifters! I have a series on 'em myself. :D I'm currently writing a book right now about a cougar hero. Last book was a bear shifter for a villian. I didn't really dwell on body mass vs. animal.

If I can suspend my disbelief long enough to think the gov't can fund a secret agency that can splice the DNA of men with animals to make shifters, then I can figure the shifting process isn't *that* complicated... :P

Good luck with your book(s), Bianca!

~~Becka