We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: 13 DragonCon Pics

After teasing you with all the good stuff to see and do at DragonCon 2007, you didn’t think I would just leave you hanging did you?

Well, yes, I am that mean. But you’re in luck. Becka, Bianca, Carolan, Dayna and Gia threatened to track me down and beat me with their books if I didn’t come back with pics. (They’re so mean!)

I didn’t manage to snag any photos of the celebs I mentioned in my last post unless you count a very badly focused shot of somebody who might be James Marsters toting a “Stunt Kisser” sign across the Buffy Horror Picture Show on Friday night, August 31. Was he or wasn’t he? Only the cast member playing Buffy knows for sure. All I can say is she took an awfully long time to come up for air. :D

1. Dragons were everywhere, of course. But to my mind one of the best was this Chinese parade dragon in the Exhibit Hall.

2. Costumes ranged from twin Goth cabaret chicks to Stargate System Lords. But this Medusa was one of my favorites. I particularly like what she did with her snakes.

3. Since its inauguration in 2002, the Saturday morning DragonCon parade has become one of everyone’s favorite events. It opens with bagpipes and ends with Stormtroopers. In between you can find representatives of everyone’s favorite fantasies—including those of the participants. Shown here are some of the folks who drum and dance at the nightly Drum Circles. Leading the contingent is Joshua, whose dancing has graced the DragonCon Masquerade for two years running. Dina, a fellow Masquerader, can be seen in the second row. She’s the one wearing a jacket over a brown top and playing zills.

4. If you think most of my fantasies involve fit guys, you’re right. Here’s the DragonCon Spartans. The tans were fake. The bods weren’t.

5. Writers parade too. This year, Sherrilyn Kenyon (centered, carrying the fan) temporarily abandoned the conference rooms and Exhibit Hall to lead the characters of her Dark Hunter novels onto the streets. I can’t help wondering how the sun-phobic Dark Hunters felt about that.

6. I included this just so you’d know what a dangerous writer you’re dealing with. I’m front and center in this scurvy crew of scalliwags, otherwise known as the crew of the good ship DragonCon Press Room: (top row from left) Randi, Leigh, Phyl, Mark and Dorie; (front row from left) me and Dave (a.k.a. Silent Bob). Although I no longer attend DragonCon with the sole intent of snagging interviews, the con’s media liaison staff lets me play dress-up with them. Maybe it’s my winning personality—or maybe it’s my way with weapons. Dave, true to his Masquerade alter ego, never uttered a peep, despite the angle of my sword.
7. I didn’t stay long enough at the Masquerade to photograph the prize-winning “Wallace and Grommet” team. (Things to do. Parties to crash.) But like Masquerade MC Kari Byron (far left) of Mythbusters, I was charmed by this hookah-smoking caterpillar. The fabric costume was entirely handmade—and worn by the seamstress who created it.

8. DragonCon is many festivals rolled into one. In addition to the gaming, media guests, movies and writers, it boasts several live concerts every night. This year the musical options ranged from perennial favorites Emerald Rose and Voltaire to newcomers (to DragonCon) Lost Boys and Last Dance. But for me, the musical highlight is always the Cruxshadows show following the Masquerade. Lead singer Rogue (pictured here in a rare moment of stillness) is the only person I know who can rock the Trojan War.

9. In addition to the Masquerade and concerts, Sunday night’s entertainment included a Pirate Gathering and a Secret Room rave with a pirate theme. The Ball featured live music from Three Quarter Ale and (reportedly) Voltaire, but I got better pictures from the Secret Room’s Pirate Rave. Where else could you see a guy in a kilt dancing with a Boxtrooper?

10. After the parties were…more parties. With bartenders who delivered. The big guy on the left carried his bar in a backpack, dispensing parrot-colored libations via a small hose.

11. Ruth Glick (Rebecca York) preceded me in the autograph area Monday afternoon. Unlike the media stars, bestselling writers like Ruth, Terry Brooks, John Ringo and DragonCon 2007 Guest of Honor David Weber sign and pose for free.

12. An unadvertised benefit of the DragonCon autographing sessions—for the writers that is. Joshua came to talk to psychic Chip Coffey and paranormal investigator Patty Starr, whose autograph session coincided with mine. But he graciously agreed to be photographed with swords…and me. You know, it’s hard to look endangered when you’re grinning like an idiot.

13. For me, this is always the saddest part of my annual DragonCon adventure—packing up and going home. Good thing there’s next year.

These and more shots can be found at my Flickr page. Eventually I'll caption them too. 'Til next year!

3 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

Your photos make me wanna go to a Dragon*con!! Thanks for sharing. (putting away book with which I was about to start whaling on you)

Gia Dawn said...

Yeah, yeah, let's all go next year! Great pics, JM, thanks for sharing. Gia

Anne Cain said...

Oh, oh---me too! I wanna go next year!! The photos are wonderful, JM! Especially the one with the Spartans...yum...*droooolssss*