We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Friday, April 13, 2007

The Care and Cultivation of Faeries


The magic spell is upon me,
I'm glad that I did not wait;
For life's at its best in the morning,
As you pass through the garden gate.

- Howard Dolf

Faeries are nothing if not sensual creatures. Otherwise, why would romance authors write find them so fascinating? And what is more sensual than a flower garden? We humans find pleasure in the rich symphony of a garden's smells, colors, textures and tastes. To the Fae, these are more than just simple pleasures - they are life itself.

So how does a fantasy romance author’s Faery garden grow? When you’re planning your flower beds this year, tuck in a few of these plants that have been known to attract the Faery folk.

Bluebells
These tiny flowers summon the Fae to midnight revels in your garden. Drink a little elderberry wine at Beltaine, and you might see them!

Ferns
After long spring nights of dancing, give your Fae a place to bed down at dawn. They’re quite fond of ferns, which are perfect for moist, shady areas.

Heather
Make this one of the first flowers you plant, because heather is a natural portal between the Faery world and our own. Same with primoses.

Roses
A Faery favorite, sprinkle rose petals on the ground and dance gently on them while asking for a Faery blessing.

Thyme
Sprinkle sprigs of thyme in front of your door and on your windowsills to let the Fae know they are welcome in your home.

St. John’s Wort
This attractive, ground-hugging plant is called Fairy’s Horse in Ireland, where the Fae ride through the air on its scent. Leprechauns are said to bury their treasure under it, so plant lots!

Tulips
Fae mothers like to put their babies to bed in tulips, so be careful when you cut some to bring indoors! You may have an anxious Faery mommy turning your house upside down in search of her infant.

These are just a few suggestions. Just about anything colorful and/or aromatic will do. One popular plant you may want to avoid, or at least plant far away from your Faery garden, is peony. Historically these have been used to repel Faeries.

Don’t forget to provide shelter for your new tenants. This can be as simple as piling up stones to form a sheltered space underneath, or just lay an old clay pot on its side.

Don’t have a garden space? Don’t despair! Get a large shallow clay dish and plant a miniature rose and some creeping woolly thyme. Sink a little dish of water in the soil, add some rocks and some moss, and you’ve created a charming environment for your Fae.

Just be careful – once you’ve drawn them into your world, take care of them! They like presents, lots of presents, and they can wreak havoc if they think you’ve forgotten about them. Regular offerings of bread, butter, milk, and honey will bring you good Faery karma.

Happy gardening!

~Carolan Ivey
ABHAINN'S KISS, a novella of the Faery realm, available now from SamhainPublishing.com!

8 comments:

Dayna_Hart said...

Also, if you leave an offering of a small dish of milk out, make sure it doesn't attract cats. Cats+fairies=bad :)

Thanks for the post, Carolan. I sure wish my garden looked like the one in the photo you posted.

Carolan Ivey said...

[[wish my garden looked like the one in the photo]] Me, too, Dayna!

Uh, no wait, that IS my garden. Yeah, that's the ticket. [ducking to avoid lightning strike]

Actually I'm excited about planting new things. As opposed to our last house, which had only solid clay for alleged "soil", the ground here is very soft and sandy. Upside, it's easy to plant things and easy to pull weeds! Downside, you have to water a LOT more.

Gia Dawn said...

Fae can be bad, bad, bad. My suggestion is you always leave your cats out at night to chase the terrible terrors off, because dogs love them and are useless.
They get bored quickly, so be certain you hang out lots of whirly, gaudy, twirly things to catch their attention--and never, never, ever, let them in your house. Worse than a whole trainload of toddlers.
So, Carolan, we'll have vastly differing stories of the fae in the Love and Lore Anthology. LMAO!!!

Can't wait to read yours. :) Gia

Carolan Ivey said...

LOL Gia,

I do know they can be michievous and downright destructive - unfortunately I think they're already in my house and there's not a whole lot I can do about it!

My little terrors like to hide things from me, which annoys me to NO end. Invariably, the item in question turns up - at precisely the point I don't need it anymore! The missing bell choir shirt I wrote about on the Samhain blog mysteriously reappeared just yesterday, in a drawer I'd emptied multiple times looking for it.

I'm hoping that if I create an attractive spot for them outside, I'll convince them it's much nicer out there!

Carolan Ivey said...

[[we'll have vastly differing stories of the fae in the Love and Lore Anthology]]

Actually I don't think I have any Fae in my L&L story! Just a rogue goddess making life interesting for the hero and heroine.

N.J.Walters said...

Wow! Beautiful garden, Carolan. I wish I had a garden, but I live in an apartment. I really like your suggestion for a small container garden. Wonderful suggestion.

Suzette said...

A lovely garden and a lovely thought....having faeries in your garden

Adam Byrn "Adamus" Tritt said...

Carolan,

And an author as well, I find you are. I wonder what else we might have in common.