We've Moved!

The authors of FaE have relocated to the Beyond the Veil castle keep. BtV is now your one-stop blog for Samhain Publishing's paranormal and fantasy romance authors!

Come on over! Just be careful when you cross the moat. The mermaids are still getting settled in with the Cracken. The drawbridge might be a little slippery.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Creature Feature: Wyvern



What is a wyvern? Looks like a dragon, right? But it's not.

A wyvern has two limbs and two wings. Note that many Western dragons have four limbs and two wings, while Eastern dragons often have no wings, only four limbs. Wyverns also seem a bit more serpent-like than dragons. Sometimes they have fish tails or barbed tails, and their limbs are more bird-like that a dragon's.

They figure prominently in heraldry, as do dragons and unicorns. Sometimes they are described as having the head of a dragon and the tail of a snake. Personally, I may have plans for some fictional wyverns I can't divulge just yet. ;-) For sure I've got dragons of all kinds in my books at this point, but no wyverns... yet.

I hope you've enjoyed this Creature Feature. We have more planned like this, so stay tuned!

Bianca D'Arc
Come over to the D'Arc side... www.biancadarc.com

9 comments:

Dayna_Hart said...

is that original Bianca D'artwork? (lame joke, I know. it's 530 am. Have pity on me.)

I love these creature features. Inspiration!

Melissa Lopez said...

Bianca, he's gorgeous!

LOl...you big tease I hate waiting for information on your up-coming work!

Mel

Bianca D'Arc said...

Dayna - D'Artwork? LMAO!!! I'm gonna have to use that somewhere! And yeah, well, I did conjure him up using my 3d rendering program. He's kinda cute, huh?

Mel - I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with my Wyvern friend yet, but I've got definite ideas! Mwahahahahaha!

Carolan Ivey said...

[[D'Artwork]]

[snicker]

Do you remember the movie "Dragonslayer"? They called the creature in that movie a dragon, but I distinctly remember it had only wings, not arms and wings.

Gia Dawn said...

I liked Reign of Fire. Boy were those mean and nasty things. LOL
What if they shifted? Scary thought. Gia

Anonymous said...

Bianca, I love this Creature Feature post, and hope to see more :) Also, Bianca, I'm so glad you posted a pic, too :)

Oooh, and Gia, if they re-did Reign of Fire with shifter dragons, I think that'd be great :)

Jennifer A. Ray said...

I've wondered over the difference between a wyvern and a dragon... Thanks, Bianca!

danetteb said...

Beautiful art Bianca...I always thought wyverns and dragons were the same,thanks for the info,we learn something new everyday.

Hugs, Danette

Kate Davies said...

Wow! Great pic, Bianca! And fascinating info.

If I looked up multi-talented in the dictionary, I'd find a picture of you.

Which you'd probably created yourself. :)